Visit Villedômer

In the 9th century, the village was called Villa Domerii and formed a castellany given to the Church of Tours in 886 by Charles III the Fat. In 1335, Villa Domerii became Villedômer. In 1793, the village was attached to the district of Château-Renault.

Villedômer is located at the corner of two beautiful valleys: the Brenne and the Madelon. It is also a very wooded commune with a large number of castles and mills.

Points of interest

Saint-Vincent and Saint-Gilles Church


The church has a nave with three bays and ends with a semicircular apse. The apse, lit by three round-headed windows, is vaulted in a cul-de-four. Two side chapels complete the choir bay, one built in 1460, the other in the 16th century. The Renaissance style portal is framed by pilasters, on which rests a scallop shell. It is located in the south side wall of the nave. It is protected by a frame porch.



In 1893, the commune bought a piece of land along the Madelon and built a wash house. The building has a rectangular plan, open on two sides, and is composed of two walls made of coated rubble and bricks, topped with wooden planks and covered with a long slate roof. It was used until the late 1960s.

Château de Beauregard


To the south of the castle, a small building with a square base, made of rubble stone and brick, houses a dovecote with 105 bolts. The farm buildings are organized around a second courtyard to the north of the main courtyard.

Following a change in ownership, the estate was entirely restored in 2016-2017 and hosts the camping “l’Orangerie de Beauregard.”

propriétaire, le domaine a été entièrement restauré en 2016-2017 et accueille le camping “l’Orangerie de Beauregard”.

The Mill of la Vasrole


In 1667, Louis XIV was King of France and Navarre. The mill was then owned by the clergy. Today, the flour mill has been recently restored for electrical production and to put the mill back into operation. It has a ZUPPINGER type wheel of 6 meters in diameter, 2 meters wide, visible from the road (Saint Jacques de Compostelle) which spans the Brenne.

Archbishop's pond


This magnificent area of 23 hectares, including 12 hectares of water, is classified as a natural fauna and flora zone, as it is home to several threatened or protected plant species. The pond of the Archbishop, created in the 18th century by the monks of the Abbey of Gâtines, was for a long time a private fishing center, where it was not uncommon to catch carps of more than 10 kg. A children’s playground has been created and picnic tables are available. Fishing and swimming are not allowed.



An imposing railway viaduct, built of masonry and resting on ten piers, spans the Madelon River to the west of the town. The building is 225 meters long, 8 meters wide and 32 meters high, and the arches in the middle are 15 meters wide. It was built for the Brétigny-La Membrolle railroad line, linking Paris to Tours, opened on August 5, 1867. In 1870, the viaduct was bombed by the Prussian army, which destroyed the third pier. It was rebuilt a few months later and the structure is still in use today.

Water plan of the Arch


This communal water level crossed by the brook of Gâtines is reserved for fishing. Picnic tables are available for walkers and fishermen.

The Abbey of Gâtines


The Abbey of Gâtines was inhabited for a long time by hermits. The abbey was founded in 1137 by Hugues, Archbishop of Tours, who followed the rule of Saint Augustine. Destroyed by a fire at the end of the 12th century, the buildings were rebuilt by Thibault de Champagne, Count of Blois. The new church was consecrated in 1207. Plundered by the Protestants, the monastery was restored in 1564. In 1737, the monks rebuilt a new dwelling for themselves and a smaller pavilion for the abbot’s accommodation. In 1791, the abbey was sold as national property.




Villedômer Town Hall
Place des Martyrs de la Résistance, 37110 Villedômer
02 47 55 00 04