Visit La Ferrière

The village of La Ferrière takes its name from the Gallic forges that exploited the iron ore present in the village. The Charter of Geoffroy, Count of Anjou, in 1040, is the first mention of La Ferrière under the name “Ecclesia de Ferraria”. The Cartulary of Marmoutier, in 1070, also mentions “Ferraria.”

Points of interest

Saint-Nicolas Church


The church you are discovering is installed in the chapel of the former priory of the Benedictine nuns, founded in the 12th century. In the 18th century, when the priory was disused, the building became a parish church. Numerous restorations and modifications, carried out in the 19th century, gave the church its present architecture.

Oak of the Revolution + fern


The square of the town hall and the church is home to a tree of Liberty (a pedunculate oak) planted during the Revolution, in 1791. It is more than 25 meters high and its trunk has a circumference of about 4 meters. It is a “remarkable” tree whose particularity is to shelter in its heart a fern called polypode vulgaire.

The laundry


The town hall is located within the walls of the former priory of the Benedictines, in the presbytery to be precise. The building dates back to the XVIth century, a mullioned window on the first floor, on the gable, reminds us of the constructions of this period.

The woods of la Ferrière


The forest covers more than 45% of the communal territory. For many years, it supplied oak bark to the tanneries of Château-Renault for the manufacture of tannin, which is necessary for the transformation of hides into leather. The presence of softwoods is not recent. A sale of pine trees, 40 or 50 years old, was found in the 1849 accounts.

La Boulière


The Dême River, which flows through the village of La Ferrière and many others, has its source near the place called La Boulière.




La Ferrière Town Hall
2 Place du Général de Gaulle, 37110 La Ferrière
02 47 56 31 97